Saturday, June 16, 2012

Nom nom: Arugula Pesto

Arugula from the Farm at Miller's Crossing

I love the peppery flavor of arugula, so I decided to search for a new way to prepare arugula rather than just throwing it into a salad or wilting it with some hot pasta—why not blend it and use it in place of basil!? I haven't tasted the pesto yet, instead I put it in my freezer for a lazy day . . . there were just too many vegetables to keep me occupied this week. And it's all started over again, with another share . . . I'll have more on what I got in this week's share later. For now here's the arugula pesto recipe:

Arugula Pesto
adapted from Epicurious  

4 cups (packed) arugula leaves (about 6 ounces)[I used the whole amount provided by the farmer]
1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted [I used slivered almonds]
1/4 cup (packed) freshly grated Parmesan cheese [I just threw in chunks of Parmesan and let the blender do the work]
1/4 cup olive oil 

Blend arugula, almonds and Parmesan cheese in processor until almost smooth. With machine running, gradually add olive oil; process until well blended. [note: I needed to add the oil in order to get the processor to start] Season pesto to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be made ahead. Cover and let stand up to 2 hours at room temperature or refrigerate up to 1 day. Bring to room temperature before using.) 





1 comment:

  1. i love when you're receiving your csa & blogging regularly! great, creative recipes!!!

    ReplyDelete