Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Pie.

 
Looks like I'm going to be looking up Strawberry Rhubarb pie recipes. . . . Or maybe I'll make tarts.

PLG CSA Week 3:

Woodbridge Farm Vegetables :
Scallions!
Garlic Scapes!
Lettuce
Kale or Swiss Chard
Radishes or Turnips
Herbs: dill or parsley

Breezy Hill Orchard Fruits:
Strawberries!
Rhubarb

Couldn't figure out what to do with the parsley last week--it's still in my fridge (ahem, slightly freeze dried)...so is the 2nd head of lettuce I got. I didn't realize I could eat too much salad—having a wisdom tooth taken out doesn't really help, though.

Hopes for my pickup later: Dill instead of parsley (and I'm not a big fan of dill--but I will buy some salmon this week!), Swiss chard instead of Kale (their Kale is less than substantial), and Turnips instead of radishes (no idea what to do with radishes or turnips, really, besides roasting them or cooking them with the kale, as if I were making Turnip greens—will definitely need to consult my mom on that one).

. . . I guess if I get radishes I'd like some more of the Bib lettuce they sent the first week. Then I'll make some shrimp lettuce wraps. Getting a little hungry.

Update: No rhubarb for half shares, which means no pie for me. Just lots o' strawberries, and I'm okay with that. Lots o' kale too–trying to be happy about this, because kale chips exist, and I plan to make them.

1 comment:

  1. those strawberries look delish!!!

    re the parsley...you can always take it out of the fridge and let it air dry. then...crumble it and put it in a container & use its dried form as a garnish on pastas and soups. btw...you can also freeze the herbs for use in soups.

    the root veggies...roast 'em. drizzle with a bit of olive oil...toss...sprinkle with kosher salt & roast for approximately 30-45 min at 400. stirring...once or twice.

    saute the kale and lettuce (but add the lettuce near the end) in a bit of olive oil that's. add finely chopped garlic when you add the kale.

    don't forget to separate the greens from the roots to prolong freshness. don't wash anything until you're ready to use it.

    just read your update. i've made kale chips. if its not on my blog...let me know & i'll send you my recipe. oh...and don't forget the massaged kale salad. ;) toodles!

    ReplyDelete